[Arm-netbook] EOMA68-A20 2.7.4 pre-production prototypes received and working

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Jun 22 09:28:21 BST 2017

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:

> .On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 9:35 AM, mike.valk at gmail.com
> <mike.valk at gmail.com> wrote:

>>>  i knoow...   btw can you possibly investigate why, when you hit
>>> "reply", the ">"s are not added?
>>
>> I was using gmail in HTML mode, apparently. I've found a switch.
>> Hopefully this works better.
>
>  it does.  yay!
>
>> N.B. Was this a problem before the auto HTML conversion on the list?
>
>  yes.  i am constantly having to hand-edit people's replies to add
> line-breaks.  it's been amazingly tedious.

Hi Luke,

Does whatever is your favoured editor not have a widget for that sort of
thing?

In notmuch+emacs one is editing mails in emacs Message mode, which means
you can re-wrap a paragraph, with the quotes being done as one would
hope, by simply hitting M-q (Alt-q on my keyboard) when in the offending
paragraph.

While one could spend one's life trying to teach people how these things
were generally done in the '80s, I came to the conclusion that the
steady influx of Internet newbies meant that became a Sisyphean task
some time in the '90s, and then got significantly worse when Microsoft
inflicted a mail client on the world that punishes people for using
email the way we'd prefer.

Using better tools seems likely to be the shorter route to inner calm.

Having said that, I did try to persuade Ron to edit out the 'Original
Message' line of his mails, since that makes emacs ignore the whole
mail as an empty top-post.  He managed to do it a couple of times before
the strain became too much, so he was trying before he became trying ;-)

On the plus side, people that resolutely stick to talking in their own
preferred style, rather than taking into account the preferred style of
their audience, helpfully tag themselves as not being worth one's time.

Cheers, Phil.