[Arm-netbook] mali gpu reverse engineering lkcl may ignore

zap calmstorm at posteo.de
Sun Jun 18 17:56:20 BST 2017

On 06/18/2017 02:09 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 7:53 PM, zap <calmstorm at posteo.de> wrote:
>
>> IF you can figure out how to reverse engineer the 3d engine, ikcl would
>> be very happy I am sure.
>  that used to be the case but is no longer true.  please read section
> 2.5 of the bill of ethics before proceeding further with this thread:
> https://www.titanians.org/the-bill-of-ethics/
>
>  ARM's illegal and unethical activity which destroyed luc verhaegen's
> career and reputation - including several counts of slander as well as
> blackmail of the company funding his reverse-engineering efforts - was
> the last straw.
>
>  if we proceed to reverse-engineer MALI, logically it results in
> people buying more ARM products.
>
>  if people buy more ARM products, logically it results in more money
> (resources) going to support ARM's illegal and unethical actions.
>
>  any action which is taken that results in support or endorsement of
> unethical actions is, logically, itself, unethical
>
>  therefore, logically and plainly put: unless ARM's attitude changes
> the reverse-engineering of MALI is itself an unethical act.
>
>  so it's a simple chain of logical reasoning based on ethical principles.
>
> l.

Hmm...  just out of curiosity, what is your plan then? to make your own
processors from lowrisc?
its not a bad idea, but I think until that is an option... we should use
still use some form of arm. Unless you know of other options.

Just curious but what other options are there? Also, I think that makes
it more reasonable to reverse engineer their products just to piss Arm
off. They don't like their products being reverse engineered anyways...
so why not do that to annoy them for their unethical acts? Besides it
could make them realize that their evil actions need to be changed.

Also, the developer who was blackmailed may be pleased by this course of
action.

Its not my favorite idea, but its better than letting mali run
unchecked. In my opinion.

You are of course free to disagree but that's my stance.