[Arm-netbook] mailing list etiquette

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Jun 18 07:27:51 BST 2017

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 6:35 PM,  <ronwirring at safe-mail.net> wrote:

>> ron hi please remember to cut context.  there is 3 paragraphs
>> comprising several hundred words, repeated, followed by a single
>> sentence and then a single-sentence question.
>>
>> these last two sentences are the only relevant context: the rest of
>> the context you have forced over 400 people to re -read unnecessarily.
>

> I have not forced anyone to read anything.

 ron: there are over 400 people on this list.  many of them receive
hundreds of messages per day.  they read them all.  they do not know
that you are violating the rules of the list until they begin to read
your message.  when they find, after several seconds of scrolling
down, that their time has been completely wasted because nothing has
been added, they are going to be pissed.

> Anyone may ignore my emails.

 ron: if the mailing list administrator tells you that you're
disobeying the rules of interaction which put people to significant
inconvenience, do you believe that it is ok to respond with such a
sentence?

> You know where to look. It is where there are no '>'.

 and how long does it take to do that?  it takes a long time, ron.
people are forced to scroll down for a significant amount of time.  if
they have a hundred or several hundred messages to read each day, and
they are forced to scroll down more than is necessary only to find
that there was nothing new added, because there is one person who does
not respect the rules which make their lives easier, how long do you
think they are going to continue to contribute to that llist?

> I prefere if others leave the full text in their emails.

 that is fine if you are interacting privately: it is not fine when
you are interacting with 400 people.  you have been asked multiple
times to respect the rules of the list.

> I prefere to not delete text in my own replies.

 your personal preferences are not relevant when it comes to
interacting with 400 other people.

> I cannot make that decision about my replies?

 yes you can, because you are being requested to do so by the mailing
list administrator.

 out of respect for others, you are being requested to follow the
rules of interaction set for this list.  you do not set the rules for
this list: i set the rules for this list.

 i get the impression that you are not really listening or respecting
what i am saying, ron.

 that therefore forces me to escalate matters.  if you do not respond
indicating that you intend to respect the rules of this list (standard
netiquette) then reluctantly i will be forced to escalate to
moderation of your messages until such time as you do listen.  this
will place a huge burden of extra work onto me, as for every single
message that you send i will receive a notification, then i will be
forced to go to a web interface, then i will be forced to read and
review your message in full, and then either approve or reject i,
writing a review each and every time explaining why your message is
being rejected, should it be rejected.

 do you, through not listening to what you are being told, *genuinely*
wish to force me to take such action?  what do you think the
implications would be of forcing me to take such action to protect
this list and its members?

 would you agree that it would be a good idea for you to say "whoops
i'm sorry, i understand now that this is serious, i will listen and
follow your advice so that i do not inconvenience so many people" ?