[Arm-netbook] DIY laptop part 1: screen

David Niklas doark at mail.com
Sat Jun 17 03:32:30 BST 2017

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 16:33:11 +0100
Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 6:29 AM, David Niklas <doark at mail.com> wrote:
> > BTW: This little series has little to nothing to do with the eoma68.
> >      Don't feel obligated to reply.
> >
> > Hello,
> > For a while now I've been working on making myself a new laptop. I
> > wanted one that was 17 in. wide.
> > It has proven difficult to locate a screen, I have search alibaba,
> > amazon, and a few other assorted site without success.
> > I need one that has:
> > 1. Matte finish
> > 2. 17 in. wide, not diagonally.
> > 3. eDP 30 pin connector or MIPI-DSI connector.
> > 4. 16.7 Million colours -- that would be 8-bit colour as opposed to
> > 6-bit which you can find many of on alibaba.
>
>  start with http://panelook.com, get the part number which has the
> highest volume, then search specifically for that part number.
I found two good looking panels (I'm assuming that "high volume" means
in stock). One is very much in stock, the other not so.
Now I have the problem of not buying 10 of them...
There appears to be only one seller selling one at a time, but he is
charging double.
Come on self, think, you can be as smart as Luke! .... I hope ....
Aha, EBAY!
Ok, I'm in business.
Thanks, Luke.

> > 5. Preferably, it is a touchscreen.
>
>  no chance.
Not that I really needed it (since I'd only use it for blender (but
that is still pretty cool)), but touch screens are all the rage, why
is it be so impossible to find one?
Really, I set the search up with only anything between 15" and 30" with
8-bit colour as my parameters and got about 10 results.

Thanks,
David