[Arm-netbook] EOMA68-A20 2.7.4 pre-production prototypes received and working

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jun 16 07:19:48 BST 2017

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 3:47 AM, Neil Jansen <njansen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>  so.. you can see, the right-hand pads are really *really* close to
>> the edge of the PCB.  so for that exact same reason it's impossible to
>> bring the tracks in on the top layer.
>
> OK so if I were laying that out, I wouldn't ever put a via in the middle of
> a pad,

 there's not really any other options: you can see how little
clearance there is to the edge of the board: it's flat-out impossible
to bring tracks in either in between those two sets, or round the
back... and you don't want to anyway: they're differential pairs (up
to 1ghz clock rate) because this is HDMI.

> not a full time electrical engineer, I only do hobby boards in
> quantities of less than 100.  Tomorrow I'll ask around at work to see if
> any of the EE's have any advice.  They do all sorts of crazy things in a
> production environment that I would never dream of.

 there's a way - it just has to be found.