[Arm-netbook] modifying a 7 inch notebook cabinet toacceptapccard

ronwirring at Safe-mail.net ronwirring at Safe-mail.net
Mon Jun 12 22:07:51 BST 2017

> On 10/06/17 06:03, ronwirring at Safe-mail.net wrote:
> > About the battery. If I can find an usb power bank having the right
> > specifications, I could then use the power bank to power the
> > computer and if I wanted to be able to charge the battery and
> > have the computer turned on at the same time, I could get
> > a charger with 2 usb connectors?
>
> With a power bank this might work, because they (AFAIK) all have their
> charging circuitry inside the power bank and take a straight-up voltage
> source to charge.  It won't make too much difference how you connect them
> as long as you have adequate gauge wires for all connections.
>
> If you're dealing with Li-ion cells, it's not recommended.  It has to do
> with how Li-ion charging works.  In short the charge schedule (most
> notable in a "fast" charge, meaning anything less than 5 hours or so) is
> constant current at a rate the battery can handle to voltage, and then
> constant voltage as the current tapers off to nearly nothing.
>
> The upshot of this is that trying to power a device with the
> battery/charger combo while charging the battery will confuse any decent
> charger (and if it isn't a decent charger you SHOULD NOT use it).  The
> only way around this is a charge controller designed for such use that
> has three sets of terminals.  One for a source, one for battery, and one
> for load.  The charge controller is then able to distinguish the load
> from the battery charge current and charge it intelligently.

Your lowermost section, I do not follow.
Let us assume you somehow are able to get the battery bank into the computer's cabinet.
Let us say, you use an usb port on the usb battery bank to both charge the
usb battery bank and power supply the pc card.
In order to power the pc card, you would have an usb cable connecting the
power bank and the pc card.
I have no power banks. Looking around, it appears power banks have
a port for getting charged and one for power supplying devices.
In general, are you sure, you cannot charge a power bank and
simultaneously have it power supplying a device? If the power
bank can be charged and power supply a device simultaneously
you would connect another usb cable from the charger which charges the power bank
to the power bank.
Else if the power bank gets empty, you would remove the
usb cable connecting the power bank and the pc card.
Then connect an usb cable from the charger of the power bank to
the power bank. I suggest
to use a https://www.att.com/chargers/att-42a-dual-usb-low-draw-universal-wall-charger.html
if you want to charge the power bank and turn on the pc card at the same time.
One usb cable from the charger to the power bank.
One usb cable form the charger to the pc card.