[Arm-netbook] revision control in the arts?

John Luke Gibson eaterjolly at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 16:36:24 BST 2017

Hendrik:
> A lot of file formats, especially those used by artists, are hostile
> to the essential 'merge' operation in version control.

A lapse on my part. I didn't think of that when I was typing that
whole thing up.
That makes it quite a bit difficult, as multiple forks can't be merged
and one simply has to decide between them, then, if worthwhile,
refactor the new version to include the merits of other forks. Okay,
maybe not possible for 100+ collaborators xD

On the bright side, it appears to be a problem that's been tackled
before for blender:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?344037-Addon-Blender-Git-Versioning

It would be interesting if there might be a way to convert blend files
to python, since blender has heavy support of its python api.

This problem appears to have been solved for gimp, under the radar:
https://sites.google.com/site/httimchen/2011_imagesvn

Luke:
>  the second, hendrik, you may have misunderstood why "art" was
> mentioned in the context of science and engineering.  we are *not*
> discussing "traditional artistic subjects" such as painting, sculpting
> and so on.
>
>  we are referring to (as does the hippocratic oath) the application of
> artistic *principles* to scientific endeavour, which is something that
> is, admittedly, quite hard to understand let alone actually do.

Naw, one of my tings definitely did mention CVS of art assets
somewhere in dat confuddled mess xd