[Arm-netbook] Init Freedom

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Jul 8 15:24:23 BST 2017

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 11:35 PM, David Niklas <doark at mail.com> wrote:

> Luke I became involved about three weeks after the project started. I'm
> still on the ML but had no time to keep up or contribute much.

 not a problem.

> I saw some
> of the most cordial behaviour that I have had the privilege to witness on
> a mailing list from most of (all?) the members!

 huh.  despite quite a lot of "venting", that's really appreciated to hear.

> I really believe that they
> will meet with success in their toiling. Not to justify by pointing to
> lesser examples, but contrast it with the behaviour of Mr. Pottering.
> Insta-bug-close. Taking every available short cut. No Portability to
> clang/bsd/etc.

 *cringes*... i see you noticed his behaviour.

> I really think that Devuan is just taking an obvious short cut in the
> above case. That is to say, if devuan and debian devs got together to
> merge then devuan would get support for system and debian would support
> other inits. I do not and did not see any resentment to debian on the
> list by the devuan devs.

 the devuan team have a really nice team spirit, and their work is of
significant interest beyond just debian/devuan.  the technique of
HTTP-redirect-cloning distros has useful implications for other libre
(e.g. FSF-Endorseable) distros that wish to remove certain packages
but do not wish to host a hundred gigabytes worth of tens of thousands
of files to do so, not least because it would be insanely impractical
to do so, just for the purposes of e.g. removing nonfree firmware or
trademarked images and words.