[Arm-netbook] severe systemd bugs (two of them)

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Tue Jul 4 07:55:41 BST 2017

On Mon, Jul 03, 2017 at 06:32:00PM -0400, zap wrote:

> > Indeed, volunteer time is seriously limited, and there are things that
> > are just beyond what can be expected from them.
> >
> > E.g. if a mayor DE would start requiring systemd to work, Debian would
> > not be in the position to fork it, but that doesn't mean that
> > non-systemd users will be forced to migrate to systemd, just that they
> > would have to use one of the many other DE available in Debian.
> >
> > ยน this is not that unlikely, however: there have been a number of calls
> > for help because the numbers of complaints on the mailing list is much
> > higher than the number of people actually giving even a tiny bit of help
> > in ensuring that sysvinit continues to be tested and supported in
> > Debian, and if nobody tests it, eventually it will bitrot and stop
> > working.
> >
> That is why, runit and openrc are badly needed as options but no matter
> what, the developers of debian had no right to force all packages to
> require systemd if they are calling their distro "universally free or
> free software" because that is the opposite of how free software is
> supposed to work.

Openrc is included in Debian. If anybody asked me to add support for its
configs for whatever packages I maintain, I guess the approach would
likewise be "patches are wellcomed", but there are also no packaging
tools for that, which makes the required patches larger, I believe.

I would probably also not be able to easily be able to debug those.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best