[Arm-netbook] severe systemd bugs (two of them)

zap calmstorm at posteo.de
Mon Jul 3 16:33:23 BST 2017

On 07/03/2017 03:52 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> https://it.slashdot.org/story/17/07/03/0343258/severe-systemd-bug-allowed-remote-code-execution-for-two-years
>
> two years.  that's how long one of these bugs has been in systemd.
> *via a remote network*.  what the hell is an init system doing being
> accessible *via DNS queries*?
>
> for anyone who still believes that systemd is okay to use and deploy,
> and that there exist "great advantages that outweigh the risks", are
> you *finally* getting the message now?
>
> dozens of distros, millions of people, all affected by the
> irresponsible act of switching "en-masse" to a single over-reaching
> init system which is developed in a fashion that is not being properly
> managed or controlled.  i do not understand why people do not
> understand this.
>
> l.
I got your message a while ago, and thank you for bringing this up,
because systemd actually is not only less secure, but it is slower (for
me anyways) and the people who made that software are hostile to people
wanting to remove systemd.  I use devuan ascii with openrc and I quite
enjoy devuan.
Just know, your words on systemd got me off of debian and onto devuan.
So thank you!