[Arm-netbook] severe systemd bugs (two of them)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Jul 3 15:24:53 BST 2017

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 3:00 PM, Jonathan Frederickson
<silverskullpsu at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's true that the systemd developers have also written replacements
> for existing software that *have* been widely adopted, notably
> systemd-logind in favor of ConsoleKit. But ConsoleKit's original
> developer(s) have stopped maintaining it, which I'd imagine is part of
> the reason distros started moving to logind. (There is the ConsoleKit2
> fork, but I'm not sure how much traction that's gotten.)

 there's a misconception that software that does its job actually
needs "development".  good stable software that does a job and does it
well (the unix philosophy) often simply needs "maintenance" only -
keeping up-to-date with dependency changes, tool changes, 64-bit ports
and architecture ports and so on.   the problem is: maintenance is a
really boring job.  so after a few years, people... stop doing it.  at
that point the software is often considered "abandonware".

 sadly it sounds like consolekit suffers (suffered) such
abandonment... ironically by virtue of having become stable (and thus
boring to work on).  so i'm not really sure what to say, particularly
as consolekit is something that is pretty damn necessary.  it's a
bizarre situation.