[Arm-netbook] severe systemd bugs (two of them)

Jonathan Frederickson silverskullpsu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 15:00:41 BST 2017

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 4:40 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>  the situation before systemd was that we had quotes imperfect quotes
> disparate programs that were managed by completely different teams.
> the actual init system(s) that used those programs did not "develop"
> significantly because... basically they did not *need* actual
> development.
>
>  now we have the most dangerous situation where power is concentrated
> into the hands of a few *known* irresponsible developers who simply
> *do not know when to stop*.

But we still have that situation. As Phil said, systemd-resolved is
not used by default on (at least) Debian Stretch, and from the sound
of things it's not used on most other distros either. The systemd
developers wrote a local caching resolver daemon, and distros can
either choose to use it, or not. You can still use dnsmasq, or not
have a caching resolver at all, or... etc. There's nothing stopping
you!

It's true that the systemd developers have also written replacements
for existing software that *have* been widely adopted, notably
systemd-logind in favor of ConsoleKit. But ConsoleKit's original
developer(s) have stopped maintaining it, which I'd imagine is part of
the reason distros started moving to logind. (There is the ConsoleKit2
fork, but I'm not sure how much traction that's gotten.)