[Arm-netbook] First laptop dock for Intel's card announced

Allan Mwenda allanitomwesh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 16:52:45 GMT 2017

Other sites running the news
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/19/14329102/nexdock-intel-compute-card-modular-computer-concept
http://www.pcmag.com/news/351107/new-nexdock-uses-intel-compute-card-to-become-a-laptop

reasons the EOMA68 cards will succeed. The Intel card is not open, and
Intel will of course try and milk money out of the platform. OEMs DON'T
want users saving the environment and spending years with one shell. Quite
the opposite, they want you coming back year after year for the new model.
So then what do we have? We have a closed card, with no OEM love. Intel
won't make a successor card. On the other hand, we have the EOMA68, which
already has successor cards potentiated (rockchip,samsung,all that good
stuff luke is testing in china) and as an open standard anyone can take up,
there's actually a business in just tracking down processors to throw into
cards (And in fact if you can Luke, point this out to Rockchip when you
meet them) As you said, people will try and put Windows on the Intel card,
with all the drama swapping resolutions etc will bring with windows drivers
being the shitfest they are, but because the EOMA is so open, one can
trivially do all this swapping, AND TROUBLESHOOT ANY CRASHES LITERALLY WITH
A INTERNET SEARCH OR THE COMMUNITY, unlike waiting on Microsoft.