[Arm-netbook] The dream of Ara

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Thu Jan 12 11:47:31 GMT 2017

A bit off-topic, perhaps, but this article illustrates the difficulties that
large corporations have with long term visions, especially in cases where
sustainability has to compete with profitability:

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/10/inside-project-ara-googles-revolutionary-
modular-phone/

Found via OSNews: http://www.osnews.com/story/29600/The_dream_of_Ara

I think the drive to focus on profits and what "consumers" supposedly want in
corporate environments tends to undermine projects like these, even when the
work is being done in part of an organisation that is supposed to be shielded
from commercial concerns. Because conventional wisdom suggests that the
public won't buy modular phones, no modular phones are made, even if there
might be a demand for them if they were made. Indeed, just the availability
of modular phones might drive demand for them.

This suggests a lack of imagination on the industry's part which I think is
shown by the example of a phone module given in the article: a tiny
"aquarium". Very interesting, but not really something that would sell the
practical benefits of modularity. Of course, you need examples of what the
system can do, but it's often the case that the most interesting ideas come
from third parties. Just getting the devices out there with open specs and
documentation would be enough to find the interesting use cases.

Anyway, this is only sort of relevant here, but I hope it was thought
provoking. ;-)

David