[Arm-netbook] Intel at CES

peter green plugwash at p10link.net
Thu Jan 5 18:48:52 GMT 2017

On 05/01/17 18:05, Julie Marchant wrote:
> That could be a problem. If it's successful, people will associate the concept with Intel and assume that eoma is a cheap ripoff. Also, with Intel controlling it, you can bet x86 will dominate it.
>
> Our response should be to publicly urge Intel to use an eoma standard, to ensure architecture agnosticism and that there isn't a conflict of interest.
I would expect them to laugh at you.

Why would they want to cripple their product by restricting themselves to the set of interfaces Luke has chosen.

Intel operates under a totally different set of constraints from Luke. If Luke wants to make a successor to his compute cards he needs to find a new SoC that has the right set of interfaces. If Intel wants to make a successor to their compute cards they can ensure that one of their upcoming SoCs has the right set of interfaces.