[Arm-netbook] passthrough, a20 and rk3288 cards

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Feb 22 14:16:44 GMT 2017

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Jonathan Frederickson
<silverskullpsu at gmail.com> wrote:
> As much as I would love to help, I don't have the low-level Linux
> experience for it to be worth sending me any hardware. That said, I'd
> love to learn - if anyone knows, what hardware already out there is
> closest to what the A20 card will have? One of the A20 Cubieboards
> maybe?

 the cubietruck's about the closest if you can get it - reason is: the
price of 96FBGA DDR3x16 RAM ICs @ 8 gigabit are INSANE ($USD 10
**EACH**) and in the 2x DDR3x16 configuration you'd need *$20* worth
of RAM with your $4 processor to get 2GBYTES.

 so instead the cubietruck went with the 4x DDR3x8 78FGBA RAM ICs,
which are a mere $3 each, and you get the 2GB of RAM that way, as 4x
DDR3x8 4 gigabit ICs.

 this is the configuration that i copied for the EOMA68-A20, by
looking at the schematic and copying the addition of the
(undocumentded) 15th address line.  it was a hell of a risk ($2,000)
but it worked: that's what the 2.4.1 announcement was about, back in
december 2016.

 anyway so yes: cubietruck is the closest you'll get to an EOMA68-A20,
if you can get hold of them.