[Arm-netbook] New Eoma68 housing idea

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Feb 17 16:46:13 GMT 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Bill Kontos <vkontogpls at gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you see the amount of money they raised ? They are sitting at over 900k$
> out of 200k$ needed originally. There is an insane market for these devices
> that I totally didn't expect. I know their older product which was more of a
> retro gaming/console thing with analog controllers was hugely successful in
> S. Korea.  Now that thing is probably outdated for a reasonable windows
> experience. I can easily see this becoming a major success with the added
> bonus of upgradability. I really think this could work very well to the
> benefit of the standard. Also given that for freedom reasons we are stuck
> with older and cheaper SoCs that do not support 3d via f/oss drivers it also
> makes more sense to make a housing for a market that also has lower power
> expectations.

 well, thanks to some questioning last month we worked out a way to
increase (negotiate) power up to 10W, and i am working on a proposal /
concept to get an 8-core 64-bit RISC-V SoC produced.

 we cannot rely on the incumbent SoC manufacturers to operate in an
ethical framework: they just don't understand the concept and it's not
important for them.  they take the easy way out because that's *more
profitable*.

 i think they're going to get a bit of a shock when the world's first
8-core RISC-V processor comes out, regardless of who makes it.