[Arm-netbook] A suggestion why Systemd may be bad

John Luke Gibson eaterjolly at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 06:30:15 GMT 2017

Perhaps it is the idea that a linux machine should be wholly modular
and attaching a library to a critical component of the system,
shouldn't be a viable strategy for popularizing one's work.

When a distro is forced to carry a package due to a dependency of a
dependency, or any magnitude there of, it breaks a core separation of
power there. The users depend on distro's to provide reliable
packages, however if a package is intentionally interweaving files to
make these dependencies simply a part of the file and therefore
robbing the distro's the ability to choose a different dependency
should another developer or team thereof prove more reliable or more
suited for their distro.

Systemd in this sense would be like microsoft robbing those wishing to
distinguish themselves of the ability by increasing the magnitude of
difficulty in doing so.

Now, keep in mind, I am not fluent in any programming language and
have not audited Systemd, nor do I know anyone who has. This is based
on a compiled understanding of observations expressed in arguments
both infavor and against Systemd.