[Arm-netbook] Logging and journaling

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Sun Feb 12 09:10:24 GMT 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:44:42AM +0000, Russell Hyer wrote:
> Oops, I left out some web links, here's one I found:
> http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Which has tons of links and no actual content. I figure that most linked
pages generally recycle content. So I'm looking at content of the first
link from the first link:
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Local_copy_of_boycottsystemd.org_archive

Answering just the first items:

1. False. It can handle hostname, locale, and such. But doesn't have to.
For instance, systemd introduced systemd-localed and localectl. However,
you don't like them? just disable systemd-localed.service and use
whatever method you used for locale settings.

The only extra component of systemd that is required is the journal.

2. Somewhat true. However, I have hardly had cases of he journal files
corrupted. Syslog test files are likewise not ACID compliant, but this
is irrelevant when you have a single writer.

3. Somewhat true. Right now systemd requires kernel >= 3.12, IIRC.

4. Somewhat true. Both udev and dbus have been part of most Linux
systems (certainly desktop ones) for quite some time. However, the
separate dbus transport is not intended to move dbus into systemd.
Rather, it intends mostly to move it into the kernel and thus improve
efficiency.

5. Misleading. Debian does not use that interface by default. Which
means it is an optional component. That said, it is very handy to use.

6. Somewhat true. How about all the CVEs systemd saved by avoiding
poorly written scripts (with poorly written temporary files handling and
other races)? By making it simple to drop privileges? And other cases?
Or using timedatectl insteead of ntpd?

That said, I have no idea what those entries refer to. So I hope those
numbers are corect.

I suppose it won't get much better.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is