[Arm-netbook] Logging and journaling

Julie Marchant onpon4 at riseup.net
Sun Feb 12 04:26:35 GMT 2017

On 02/11/2017 02:53 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>  if you misunderstood and believed that you were buying a product,
> that you were placing an order, as opposed to helping reach the goal
> of bringing ethically-developed eco-conscious computing devices to
> mass-volume

Every time someone mentions customers, it seems you bring up this exact
same line. I don't care if *I* am a customer or not; you *are* going to
have customers, are you not? Or is this just always going to be an
endless exchange of "gifts" for you, where you get X orders for this
product, abandon it, and move on to the next one?

Unless that's your plan, you're going to need to address people's
concerns and complaints at some point; you can't just keep handwaving
them away forever. So you're better off addressing them *now*, when the
people making the complaints are doing so because they *care*.

> 100% integrity is *that* important to me, it takes *absolute*
> precedence.

Also, please, get off your high horse:

1. You're using proprietary CAD software.
2. You use YouTube.
3. You have not released all the PCB CAD files.
4. You have admitted to signing NDAs.

Et cetera.

You are not perfect, you cannot be perfect, and no one expects you to be
perfect. Don't make the perfect the enemy of the good.

> i haven't the *time* or energy to be zealous.

You're being zealous right now when you say things like this:

> i'm deeply disturbed by the way in
> which systemd has been developed and deployed: it's unethical in ways
> that go beyond acceptable boundaries which the actual *software
> license* simply doesn't cover.

And you're so convinced that systemd is the worst thing in the world,
for reasons you cannot explain, That you would rather ship a testing
snapshot of Debian from years ago than just ship a stable version of
stock Debian.

This goes beyond "not having time" to "deal with" systemd. You are
*actively* making decisions to "protect" people from what they
*specifically* asked for, which you also *specifically* offered.

If you want to talk about ethics, what about the ethics of promising one
thing, but delivering another? OK, you're technically delivering Debian,
but no one is going to see delivery of a years-old Testing snapshot as
delivering on your promise. You'll be seen as a guy who is trying to
force anti-systemd hysteria down their throats.

> i haven't the time or energy to spend
> on it

Then why did you offer Debian and Fedora as options? By offering them as
options, you implicitly volunteered to *at least* install stock Debian
and stock Fedora. You could just as easily have only offered Devuan.

>  if people - even on this list - did not go into full-on "attack"
> mode, getting extremely defensive and upset when i try to point
> something out, instead took the time to ask questions, it would be a
> lot easier.

It's you who is being defensive, Luke. No one is in "attack mode". You
have this bad habit where you treat your critics like they are
adversaries. We are not your adversaries. The only reason I am so
critical of your decisions is because I want EOMA68 to succeed.

--
Julie Marchant
https://onpon4.github.io

Protect your emails with GnuPG: