[Arm-netbook] Logging and journaling

pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Sat Feb 11 12:15:11 GMT 2017

On 02/10/2017 10:37 AM, Elena ``of Valhalla'' wrote:
> Running GNOME without systemd is a different beast: I don't know if it
> has happened already, but sooner or later systemd will be required
> because of an *upstream* decision.
> Debian fully supports a number of other Desktop Environment and window
> managers, some of which (e.g. KDE/Plasma) have a committed to being
> multi-platform and thus will not for the foreseeable future force the
> use of systemd.

Current GNOME needs systemd interfaces which is why the not yet stable
GNU distribution GuixSD uses extracted parts of systemd like elogind to
provide them so it can run GNOME without running the systemd init system
(which it cannot do on GNU Hurd). So GNOME only needs parts of systemd. See:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/news/gnome-in-guixsd.html

I don’t know what Debian GNU/Hurd does. Either way, it’s the
distributions’ problem.

Regards,
Florian