[Arm-netbook] Logging and journaling

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Feb 9 16:47:20 GMT 2017

---

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Adam Van Ymeren <adam.vany at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 02:59:02PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
>> wrote:
>> > ---
>> > crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68

>> >  with the exception of fedora which has only a few backers i will NOT
>> > be distributing a filesystem which contains the completely
>> > unethically-developed and very dangerous systemd application.  having
>> > evaluated its development, watched the predicted security
>> > vulnerabilities unfold and cause massive disruption, and witnessed its
>> > "ram it down people's throats" deployment without due consideration or
>> > consultation with end-users, nor the distros respecting end-users
>> > rights to NOT be forced into using it, i cannot and will not be
>> > associated or endorse such totally unethical behaviour, so will be
>> > removing it from all rootfs images. post-distribution, if people then
>> > wish to undo that because they find systemd to be useful and have no
>> > objections to its usage they are entirely free to do so.
>>
>> I very much like systemd and can hardly see myself using a system
>> without it. Thus I will personally want to have systemd on my systems.
>> Please don't make that too difficult a task for me.
>>
>> That is: you don't like systemd? fine. Installing Debian without it is
>> rather simple:
>> https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Installing_without_systemd
>

> Please don't spread this mis-information.  Installing Debian without systemd
> is far from simple, and many things just won't work right as systemd has
> become a dependency on more and more packages.
>
> It's possible, yes, but it's not simple, not supported, and tends to leave
> the user debugging weird behaviours.

  for my laptop i'm using angband.pl's nosystemd, which is not kept
up-to-date with security updates, so what i have learned is that i can
simply "apt-get build-dep" on whatever package is not up-to-date, then
"apt-get source" it, build it and install the resultant .debs and that
way i can keep running a debian/testing system completely free of
systemd and libsystemd0.

 ... yeah it's not for the faint-hearted :)