[Arm-netbook] Logging and journaling

Adam Van Ymeren adam.vany at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 15:53:02 GMT 2017

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il>
wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 02:59:02PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> wrote:
> > ---
> > crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
> >

> > On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca>
> wrote:
> >
> > > W.r.t to logging, I've agree that you're probably better off logging to
> > > RAM (or to a remote host) than to a local "disk", and AFAIK that's the
> > > default behavior of systemd anyway.
> >
> >  with the exception of fedora which has only a few backers i will NOT
> > be distributing a filesystem which contains the completely
> > unethically-developed and very dangerous systemd application.  having
> > evaluated its development, watched the predicted security
> > vulnerabilities unfold and cause massive disruption, and witnessed its
> > "ram it down people's throats" deployment without due consideration or
> > consultation with end-users, nor the distros respecting end-users
> > rights to NOT be forced into using it, i cannot and will not be
> > associated or endorse such totally unethical behaviour, so will be
> > removing it from all rootfs images. post-distribution, if people then
> > wish to undo that because they find systemd to be useful and have no
> > objections to its usage they are entirely free to do so.
>
> I very much like systemd and can hardly see myself using a system
> without it. Thus I will personally want to have systemd on my systems.
> Please don't make that too difficult a task for me.
>
> That is: you don't like systemd? fine. Installing Debian without it is
> rather simple:
> https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Installing_without_systemd

Please don't spread this mis-information.  Installing Debian without
systemd is far from simple, and many things just won't work right as
systemd has become a dependency on more and more packages.

It's possible, yes, but it's not simple, not supported, and tends to leave
the user debugging weird behaviours.