[Arm-netbook] Logging and journaling

Julie Marchant onpon4 at riseup.net
Thu Feb 9 15:49:25 GMT 2017

On 02/09/2017 09:59 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>  with the exception of fedora which has only a few backers i will NOT
> be distributing a filesystem which contains the completely
> unethically-developed and very dangerous systemd application.  having
> evaluated its development, watched the predicted security
> vulnerabilities unfold and cause massive disruption, and witnessed its
> "ram it down people's throats" deployment without due consideration or
> consultation with end-users, nor the distros respecting end-users
> rights to NOT be forced into using it, i cannot and will not be
> associated or endorse such totally unethical behaviour, so will be
> removing it from all rootfs images. post-distribution, if people then
> wish to undo that because they find systemd to be useful and have no
> objections to its usage they are entirely free to do so.

I don't personally care whether or not my system includes systemd (it
does), but I have seen no evidence of wrongdoing by the systemd
developers. Every single case of systemd adoption I am aware of was
because the maintainers of a distro wanted to adopt it. And systemd is
libre, even copylefted. There are no ethical grounds to oppose it.

Besides, people who hate systemd would choose Devuan rather than Debian.
Why would you give people who ordered a computer card with Debian (i.e.
using systemd) something they didn't ask for? Best-case scenario, no one
cares. Worst-case scenario, you make a decision that turns out to be a
maintenance burden for you and annoys some of your backers. Regardless
of your opinion on the matter, this isn't a battle you should be
fighting, at least not here.

--
Julie Marchant
https://onpon4.github.io