[Arm-netbook] Logging and journaling

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Wed Feb 8 14:48:13 GMT 2017

On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 09:33:04AM -0500, Julie Marchant wrote:
> I just want to make sure of something: are the EOMA68-A20 computer cards
> going to be shipped with logging and journaling disabled (so that the
> storage isn't constantly being written to)? I'm asking because this is
> pretty much a necessity for an OS running on NAND or an SD card if you
> don't want to have to constantly buy new SD cards because the previous
> one reached its write limit.
>
> Ditto for swap, but given the small amount of NAND on the A20 card, I'm
> sure not having swap is a given anyway. ;)

Just one data point from systems we have, based on Raspberry Pi2 (SD
card):

* By default we disable all standard logging to disk.
  - It is possible to reenable logging to (r)syslog
  - and/or create /var/log/journal (We keep Debian's default of
    Storage=auto).
* We tried working without a swap. After some crashes we realised it was
  needed.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best