[Arm-netbook] TIL: Intel's credit-card sized modular computer is "inspired" by EOMA68

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Feb 8 01:07:06 GMT 2017

---

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 12:04 AM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 8. February 2017 00.28.39 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>
>> http://www.mouser.co.uk/pdfdocs/intel-joule-platform-mechanical-
> descriptor.pdf
>>
>>  looks completely different
>
> Sorry, you're right! I saw something that resembled it, looked at the
> specifications which do include things like wireless networking, and forgot
> that they really are putting their Core line of CPUs into the Compute Card,
> whereas this other thing uses Atom, which one might have thought they'd be
> using for low power consumption. (I guess it was Atom and AMD's G-series that
> you very briefly considered for possible EOMA68 applications.)
>
> Still, showering the market with products isn't likely to diminish consumer
> confusion, is it? Intel's own corporate attention span is as much a threat to
> this product as almost anything else.

 they're desperate... which is why they've been funding
(anti-competitive style) ODMs to use their processors, then
subsidising wholesalers to stock them... and then offering subsidies
to users to buy the resultant products.

 at some point the FTC is going to catch on and give them a right
royal kicking...