[Arm-netbook] TIL: Intel's credit-card sized modular computer is "inspired" by EOMA68

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Feb 7 23:22:33 GMT 2017

On Thursday 2. February 2017 00.00.01 Ralf-Peter Rohbeck via arm-netbook
wrote:
> Just saw this on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxhardware/comments/5rhuig/til_intels_creditcard_sized_modular_computer_is/

I've been fed adverts for it now, leading to this product page at Mouser:

http://www.mouser.co.uk/new/Intel/intel-joule/

Pricing starts at around £150 per unit.

I see this as Intel gradually moving back towards what they know. Their
embedded boards don't really seem to have been widely picked up, at least in
the hacker/hobbyist mainstream (although maybe the Arduino 101 really has sold
well), and what started with a higher-end Arduino competitor employing a
Pentium-class CPU (Quark) became a 500MHz Atom-based product (second
generation Edison) that has now led to this 1.5GHz Atom-based board (Joule).

Paul