[Arm-netbook] Olimex is making an "open-source" laptop...

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Feb 5 19:25:42 GMT 2017

---

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 7:11 PM, Christopher Havel <laserhawk64 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Aren't you often blowing up at Olimex tho...? ;) I just thought this a good
> opportunity for more of that. Besides. I brought popcorn.

 sorry - i've not been well (for several months) and simply don't have
the time or energy.  if people want to fundamentally misunderstand
what it is i'm doing so that they can continue with their unethical
behaviour, they're entirely at liberty to "explore that space".

> ...sorry, just trying to tease/taunt in a funny-haha way. I'll stop.

 no problem chris - i'm just too exhausted to do so, i have other priorities.

> My opinion on the subject, for what it's worth: "the perfect is the enemy of
> the good". Something from Olimex that's "sorta kinda" open-source, may not
> be "pure", but is considerably better than say my Thinkpad X220 with its
> BIOS whitelist for WiFi cards.

 ... etc. etc. yes.

> Basically, I'm saying, it might not be the whole journey to a truly
> open-source system -- but it's a step in the right direction and should be
> recognized and (to an extent) applauded as such. At least they're /trying/.

 he's being supported (financially) by people who also don't quite
fully understand the ethical consequences of their decisions and
actions.  and that's fine.  collectively they're perfectly entitled to
"explore that space".