[Arm-netbook] Olimex is making an "open-source" laptop...

Christopher Havel laserhawk64 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 19:11:05 GMT 2017

Aren't you often blowing up at Olimex tho...? ;) I just thought this a good
opportunity for more of that. Besides. I brought popcorn.

...sorry, just trying to tease/taunt in a funny-haha way. I'll stop.

My opinion on the subject, for what it's worth: "the perfect is the enemy
of the good". Something from Olimex that's "sorta kinda" open-source, may
not be "pure", but is *considerably* better than say my Thinkpad X220 with
its BIOS whitelist for WiFi cards. I bought a Lenovo WiFi card on eBay a
few days ago... mostly because I'm not convinced that my USB floppy drive
is still in working order and I didn't feel like finding out with a BIOS
flash utility! (Gee whiz, Lenovo, did you HAVE to put the bloody thing
under the palmrest...?!) Not my hardest repair, by far (Mom has an HP
Compaq TC4400... I swear there's no way to remove the keyboard that doesn't
result in breaking the power button bezel in half!) but there's more than a
little room for improvement there. An open source laptop means that I can
provide feedback on that sort of thing and it'll be heard... right? ;)

Basically, I'm saying, it might not be the whole journey to a truly
open-source system -- but it's a step in the right direction and should be
recognized and (to an extent) applauded as such. At least they're /trying/.

Meh. I'm actually making my own little laptop-like contraption -- a
keyboard with a folding screen, basically. I can describe it, if anyone's
at all interested (I'm guessing probably not, which is why I deleted that
part out of this particular message). It's based around a Pi Zero (sorry,
Luke). Building custom computers is fun :D