[Arm-netbook] Ethics, eco-conscious, and treating your backers with respect

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Dec 31 05:39:33 GMT 2017

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 5:07 AM, Jonathan Frederickson
<silverskullpsu at gmail.com> wrote:

>>  entire power structures have built up over millenia based around that
>> and THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THE POWER TO NEGOTIATE CONTRACTS IS TRULY
>> DECENTRALISED.
>
> Well, sort of. The actual exchange of currency doesn't involve a third
> party, and in the case of e.g. Ethereum there's a lot of interesting
> stuff you can do within the network. But for most real-world contracts
> you need information from outside the network about whether one party
> actually fulfilled its obligations, and then you're back to the messy
> realities of human trust.

 eeexactly.

 whereas with blockchain and hashgraph that trust is a mathematical
inviolate (cryptographical level of) certainty.

 i may have assumed above that you would realise the significance of
what an an "atomic transaction" means in relation to contracts.  it
means that a public declaration of a contract becomes atomic -
indivisible - i.e. absolute and inviolate.... WITH NO THIRD PARTY AND
REQUIRING NO THIRD PARTY DISPUTE ARBITRATION.

 to a mathematically cryptographical level the contract IS absolute
and inviolate.

 for LITERALLY the first time in human history.

 is that clear?  it means we - humanity - can be free to make our own
contracts with other people, at our *own* responsibility, not that of
a government or a judge or a lawyer or *anyone* else but the person
with whom we are dealing.  directly.

 the number of people who truly grasp the significance of that is...
honestly... really quite small.