[Arm-netbook] open risc v question:

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Dec 29 19:22:16 GMT 2017

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 6:57 PM, zap <calmstorm at posteo.de> wrote:

>>> Wow... that's freakin awesome.  Any idea when such a processor will be
>>> implemented into the eoma68 standard?
>>  if standard chip design is anything to go by... probably 18 months.

> I wonder how long it has been being developed though so far. :)

 dunno. they're using something similar to Chisel except where chisel
is written in java, bluespec (or whatever) is written in Haskell.
apparently it's possible to write a processor core in about 6 weeks
flat with it... and the advantages are, you can do formal mathematical
proofs on it.... *because it's Haskell*.  outputs Verilog or VHDL i
forget which.

 anyway, the integration is where it's going to get complicated.
making sure the interfaces work, and pre-writing linux kernel drivers
to run on FPGAs *before* committing to silicon and so on.

 we _will_ have access - free - to the university's 180nm fab, which
is a bit... high power and very slow these days but at least it
*might* be useful to at least prove things like e.g. sd/mmc work and
so on.