[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 / Libre RISC-V team financing

Bill Kontos vkontogpls at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 23:03:43 GMT 2017

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> ok so the past couple of updates i sent out i mentioned that there's
> no longer sufficient funds in the current campaign to further pay
> accommodation or any other living expenses.  thus it is *really
> important* that i find sources of funds, immediately.  beyond that, i
> may have found something that's worth exploring that has the potential
> to fund pretty much absolutely everything that we want to achieve, if
> it is leveraged correctly.
>
> one of the options that i am exploring is bltclub.

I got to be honest here, running out of funds in a crowdfunding
campaign and looking to make it up via bitcoin does not make me feel
very confident. I don't mean to rub it in your face and I'm sure
you've explored this thoroughly, but you also did that with the
campaign and yet you did run out of money because shit happens and
crypto is too messed up right now. Besides the problem with bitcoin is
that as of right now there are 200k pending transactions. So unless
you can confirm from beforehand that you can pay a significant amount
of the remaining expenses directly via bitcoin I don't think this idea
even computes as turning it into fiat is slow and expensive in
transaction fees.

An idea of mine: this project is exactly what the government funding
shakti hope for. Maybe ask madhu about potential government/uni funds.
Pitch the crowdfunding campaign as the proving ground of the standard
and hope for the best. Education is a good example. If it goes through
you will probably get more money that you'd know what to do with in
the context of the campaign, plus a nice trip to India.