[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 / Libre RISC-V team financing

Luca Saiu positron at gnu.org
Wed Dec 27 13:32:00 GMT 2017

On 2017-12-27 at 12:35, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> if the amount of BTC going out is GREATER than the BTC coming in,
> then, clearly and logically, that would be unsustainable, meaning that
> they would HAVE to get some extra BTC from somewhere....

Correct, but that's a very big "if".  I don't believe the hypothesis.

>  ... and the most likely place that they would be getting that extra
> BTC would be.... oh.... say... a massive pool of mining equipment
> distributed world-wide in different geographical locations that is

Again correct, as long as the hypothesis above (the amount coming in
being less than the amount going out) holds.

Ockham says that borrowing from Peter to pay Paul is even easier; they
can pocket some amount, distribute some more thru MLM commissions, and
encourage investors not to cash out for as long as possible, hoping that
new funds keep coming.  Some comparatively insignificant mining on top
of that will give a sense of legitimacy to new investors, keeping the
scheme alive longer.

I've given what I believe is fair warning; if it turns out I'm wrong,
which I unfortunately consider unlikely, that's better for everybody.
You say that the EOMA68 quotes are not at risk; okay, if the project
itself in not in jeopardy then I can be less nervous.  This will be my
last messages on this topic for the time being (if bitclub collapses
soon I can't guarantee I won't succumb to the temptation of a "told you
so" mail).

However, Luke, I do appreciate the actual technical work you are doing.

--
Luca Saiu
* GNU epsilon:           http://www.gnu.org/software/epsilon

I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no
matter how deeply held, with open disrespect and the same unrelented
enthusiasm of a toddler who has just learned the word "poo".