[Arm-netbook] HDMI High-Frequency Layout: Recommendations--Taper

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 06:31:00 GMT 2017

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 11:20 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Richard Wilbur
> <richard.wilbur at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So it might be easier to just put a ground keepout on layer 2 under
>> the ESD component on layer 1 and a corresponding ground fill on layer
>> 3.  Likewise a ground keepout on layer 5 under the ESD component(s) on
>> layer 6 and a corresponding ground fill on layer 4.
>
>  yehyeh.  ah.... do you mean the *whole* component?  conflicts with
> putting keepout(s) under individual pads...
>
>> I was recommending just under the ESD pads specifically for the
>> high-frequency differential signals.
>
>  conflicts with words above about "GND keepout under ESD components"...

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I wasn't very clear about delineating
the difference between two options for dealing with the ESD component
pads.
1.  Ground keepout under whole ESD component(s) on adjacent reference
ground plane (layer 2 for ESD on layer 1, layer 5 for ESD on layer 6),
ground fill on deeper layer (layer 3 for ESD on layer 1, layer 4 for
ESD on layer 6).  Ground fills connected as always using vias (some
probably already adjacent).
2.  Ground keepouts under just high-frequency signal pads of ESD
components on adjacent reference ground plane (layer 2 for ESD on
layer 1, layer 5 for ESD on layer 6).

Clear as mud?