[Arm-netbook] HDMI High-Frequency Layout: Recommendations--Taper

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 02:32:43 GMT 2017

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> ok so just to check, are you recommending a multi-staggered approach,
> according to that table:
> 0     0  0  0  0  0
> 1     -1  1  2  3  4
[...]
> 8     -1  1  2  3  4
>
> so that would be *eight* separate bring-ins?

Yes, 8 separate, small steps bringing the pairs closer.

> or are you just recommending the *one* bring-in, where the table
> specifies how *much* each particular trace should be offset by?

You are missing the heading that specified:
<step #>  <north keepout> <TX1> <TX0> <TXC> <south keepout>

> (bear in mind, like i mentioned, i am thinking of keeping TX1 where it
> is instead of TX2, because of the diff-pair VIA positions, i can
> adjust the offsets accordingly)

That would be fine to hold TX1 stationary instead of TX2, it even
makes for a more symmetric taper thus the maximum offset will be
smaller.
<step#> <north keepout> <TX2> <TX0> <TXC> <south keepout>
0     0  0  0  0  0
1     -2  -1  1  2  3
2     -2  -1  1  2  3
3     -2  -1  1  2  3
4     -4  -2  2  4  6
5     -4  -2  2  4  6
6     -2  -1  1  2  3
7     -2  -1  1  2  3
8     -2  -1  1  2  3

P.S.  See other post where I climbed out of the rabbit hole and
recommend against doing the taper after all.