[Arm-netbook] New 3d printing technique

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Dec 6 17:42:19 GMT 2017

---

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Bill Kontos <vkontogpls at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know how far in your 3d printer design you are Luke, or even
> if something like this is useful/feasible( it's a completely different
> extruder and servos), but I'm leaving it here for future reference.
>
> http://news.mit.edu/2017/new-3-d-printer-10-times-faster-commercial-counterparts-1129
>
> The actual paper is unfortunately behind a paywall.

 yes i saw it, meant to post it, thank you bill.  look at the video:
can you see how much the printbed, which is on springs, is shaking
side-to-side? whoops... :)  the drag force of the filament is *so
great* it's causing the printbed to move sideways.

 it just goes to show that you need to cover *all* the bases.  any one
thing (and i forgot to stabilise the printbed too) and you get
rubbish-for-a-print.