[Arm-netbook] HDMI High-Frequency Layout: Recommendations

mike.valk at gmail.com mike.valk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 22:44:28 BST 2017

>>> Should be a major step in the right direction.

After thinking it through I have to agree. Each GND trace would become
coupled with the diff pairs. Effectively creating a link between two
pairs. Which we do not want.

>> How about the ground plane below the traces... That's a major stray
>> capacitance and closer than the "narrow" surrounding GND traces?
>
> The ground plane would be stray except we designed it into the single-ended and differential impedance.  At this point it is integral to our differential microstrip geometry.  (See my original post in the thread "HDMI High-Frequency Layout:  Impedance".)

I'll read that again.

I guess we just need to make sure that no other GND loop crosses the
HDMI plane. Perhaps create a barrier on the GND that follows the outer
HDMI traces. To prevent unwanted GND loops

http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/slyp173/slyp173.pdf