[Arm-netbook] Side-Topic: Liberating PocketCHIP

mike.valk at gmail.com mike.valk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 09:17:22 BST 2017

> ---
>
>  you cannot expect companies to drop everything and help just you.
> you're just one person: you're expected to work these things out for
> yourself.
>
>  now, if you were placing an order for ten THOUSAND *then* they might
> be interested.

Well they've announced the CHIP to be more open and supported than
actually delivered.

Now that is unfortunately common practice. And due to experiences in
the past, Poulsbo, Andriod, I already knew that they would not be able
to deliver that, especially at that price point. Hey they even
promised opensource 3d graphics if the crowdfunding was successful
enough, if I recall correctly.

But that is just us. That might not, and probably is, be true for a
lot of their customers, like David. That's we're the evil lies I
think. Announcing a "libre" computer but fail to follow it through.
Yes there is open source software for you to use, yes there
schematics.

But from what I've learned, a lot of it here on the list and from you
Luke. That's not enough.

There needs to be a reproducible process and clearly state what is
open and what is not.