[Arm-netbook] Solid wood corner prototype

Tor, the Marqueteur Marqueteur at FineArtMarquetry.com
Sun Apr 30 12:54:19 BST 2017

On 30/04/17 01:01, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> ---
> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>

> On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 7:44 AM, Tor, the Marqueteur
> <Marqueteur at fineartmarquetry.com> wrote:
>> Thought I'd give a try at how a solid wood version would come out.  Here
>> is the result of about 45 minutes prototyping with a piece of 3/8" Cherry
>> I had lying around.
>
>  those look _great_.

Thanks.

>> A couple notes:  The 5/64" (.078", 1.98mm) bit has some tendency to
>> wander, as can be seen in the holes.  ...snip...
>
>  one of the holes is space-saving (for 3d-printing), the other is
> essential (and is 3.5mm diameter) for the bolts to hold everything
> together.

That makes things easier, and the 9/64" bit is more stable.  Looks like I
probably grabbed the numbers on that from an old version.

>> I also didn't add the slot for the PCB, mostly because I wasn't sure of
>> the size, and I didn't have the appropriate cutter lying close by.  I
>> have a couple thoughts on that.
>
>  hmm me too: a CNC lathe would do the trick.  the slot is essential in
> one of the parts for access to the PCMCIA eject-button.

>  http://hands.com/~lkcl/eoma/kde_tablet/3dcase/microdesktop_model2_corner.stl

Yeah.  At the complexity of the inside you have there, I don't see
anything short of CNC that that could reasonably do the job.  Those sharp
inside corners are hard, but it looks like a single cutter pass can
probably run past far enough to work if that direction were taken.

Tor

--
Tor Chantara
http://www.fineartmarquetry.com/