[Arm-netbook] Solid wood corner prototype

Hrvoje Lasic lasich at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 12:03:16 BST 2017

On 30 April 2017 at 08:44, Tor, the Marqueteur <
Marqueteur at fineartmarquetry.com> wrote:

> Thought I'd give a try at how a solid wood version would come out.  Here
> is the result of about 45 minutes prototyping with a piece of 3/8" Cherry
> I had lying around.
>
> A couple notes:  The 5/64" (.078", 1.98mm) bit has some tendency to
> wander, as can be seen in the holes.  I also goofed the measurement so
> these are 11/16" instead of 9/16" wide.  I didn't notice that until I was
> nearly done, and figured that since they weren't actually going to be
> used it didn't matter.
>
> I also didn't add the slot for the PCB, mostly because I wasn't sure of
> the size, and I didn't have the appropriate cutter lying close by.  I
> have a couple thoughts on that.

ok, so I see this part is extruded profile in fact. One alternative is to
make it from aluminum. cost of tooling should not be more then couple of
hundred USD and you can order some qty for `trial`, prototyping etc.
producer will cut you this part as per your size. Basically you pay around
4 usd/kg and some more on cutting, all together not much. just idea.