[Arm-netbook] System 76 - Entering Phase 3

Lyberta lyberta at lyberta.net
Fri Apr 21 16:57:00 BST 2017

> While I understand what you are saying I don't see how having one of
> the most Linux friendly laptop manufacturers making a laptop based on
> the EOMA68 standard would be a bad idea. Let's say hypothetically, they
> decided to make the most awesome modular EOMA68 laptop possible, dual usb-c
> 3.1 and the works. Even if they did ship the system with a CPU card that
> was running Ubuntu on it, the whole EOMA68 standard works on the premise
> that if you can plug it in, it will work. Therefore, couldn't you just
> swap out out the CPU card and put any other compatible EOMA68 CPU card in
> there to enjoy the benefits of a well designed laptop and run your preferred
> distro instead?

Well if they ship Ubuntu, there are probably tons of hardware parts that
require proprietary blobs to work. They will need a very different
strategy to make sure that 100% libre EOMA68 cards will work with all
hardware. I'd want them to release a RYF-certified desktop to see if
they are up to our standards.