[Arm-netbook] ZeroPhone

Christopher Havel laserhawk64 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 04:05:09 BST 2017

Mr Gibson, with all due respect (and forgive me for speaking out of a
half-stupor -- I did way, way too much today, and it's almost 11pm -- in my
defense, I solemnly swear I'm about to go to bed) --

There is a vast group of people (my mother is sadly amongst them) who are
of the belief that a perfectly sufficient quantity of "computer literacy"
is the ability to turn the machine on and off, use some sort of email
client, word processor, and web browser (without necessarily knowing the
names of these programs) and being within arm's reach of "someone smart"
who can entirely take over in times where genuine technical aptitude is
required. Moreover, *these people actually believe, in essentially
unshakable form, that they are freeing themselves (and everyone else) of
some sort of massive burden by embracing the level of technological
ignorance that they do.*

You can't really reinvent the Internet (or much of computer anything --
although, for better or worse, EOMA-68 plays well with their philosophy, at
least on a hardware level) without addressing that demographic of people in
some manner which is, quite frankly, likely to be distinctly unpleasant to
all involved...

...so (pardon my utter lack of eloquence here) how do you propose to deal
with such people, since they'll be the vast majority of your
customers/clients/constituency/etc..?

I'd offer up my thoughts on the matter, but they're not liable to be all
that coherent right now -- so, instead, I'll keep my mouth shut so as to
avoid potentially getting my foot caught in there... "better to remain
silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all
doubt"!

Alright, good night, everybody...!