[Arm-netbook] ZeroPhone

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Mon Apr 17 09:06:21 BST 2017

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 1:43 AM, John Luke Gibson <eaterjolly at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A more perfect solution (longterm) would be a network with
>> self-modulating scarcity of addresses, in a fashion reminiscent of
>
>  it's always been a long-term goal of mine to create some form of
> globally-scalable wireless mesh network.  to that end i tracked down a
> copy of the IEEE 802.22 standard as it represents the best foundation
> that computer scientists have yet developed, tested and deployed.
> range of mobile units: 5km.  range of static (base station) units:
> 60km.

Before you spend too much time on reinventing wheels (and discovering
that some theoretically perfect wheels turn or to be a bit square when
confronted with reality), you should take a good at existing
deployments of mesh wireless.

Freifunk in Germany is rather popular, and works rather well (although
it generally is not making very many wireless links before it hits a
wired uplink.

  https://map.hamburg.freifunk.net/

There's the Serval Project in AU/NZ where they've done quite a lot of
testing of a self-assembling phone system that uses peer-to-peer WiFi
between phones -- their expectations that one ought to be able to make
phone calls have been mostly ditched IIRC, as they found that it works
much better if they use store-and-forward of SMS for most communication.

  http://www.servalproject.org/

Related to that, there's https://villagetelco.org/

http://battlemesh.org/ is also something to keep an eye on.

Obviously, using longer range radios to run that on is a nice idea, but
probably not the hard bit.  BTW, I notice that in Hamburg there are
people getting 5km+ range out of off-the-shelf TP-Link outdoor wifi
units that cost less than 40 EUR at each end (that's what some of the
longer lines are, at the south of the map above -- you can click the
lines to find out).

Cheers, Phil.