[Arm-netbook] About, the rk processor.

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Apr 16 23:53:26 BST 2017

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 10:56 PM, zap <zapper at openmailbox.org> wrote:
> something interesting I saw is that in the update picking a processor,
> it shows rk3188 as the rockchip processor you were going to reverse
> engineer. on the other hand, your rhombus-tech link shows that your
> looking at rk3288?
>

> Not to be annoying constantly, but I am curious are you looking at one
> or both?

 just the 3288.  the 3188 i considered but it's older, cortex a9 based
so is *really* power-hungry. i got a dev board (ok an IPTV box),
opened it up, immediately noted the heat-sink on the 3188 and went
"absolutely not".

 the 3288 on the other hand was the first commercial A17 (i believe)
which is a sort-of uprated version of the Cortex A7 - something like
that, anyway.

 also it can do HDMI 2.0, 4k video playback (if you push the
dual-channel memory up to a stonking 1600mhz that is...) and it kicks
the stuffing out of the high-end variants of the intel atom.

 more than that, its popularity in chromebooks has meant that the 3288
has a *lot* of modding and OS messing-about behind it.  that's a good
thing in that it's well-understood, but it does make it a f*****g
nuisance to try and find decent instructions.  i've given up on using
google search and now go directly to #linux-rockchip on freenode.
people there know what they're doing.