[Arm-netbook] I saw your recent update, Luke

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Apr 16 16:18:08 BST 2017

---

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Pablo <pablo at parobalth.org> wrote:
>>  it's actually incredibly straightforward to get a Card set up with a new OS:
>>  https://wiki.debian.org/ArmHardFloatChroot
>>
>>  err... then... err... copy that to a MicroSD card and... err.. that's
>> it.  done.
>
> It is true that there has been (heated) discussions about what kind of
> image should be shipped with the Eoma68-A20 cards and a lot has been
> explained here at this list and with the updates at crowdsupply.
> Still it seems kind of unfair to point Zap in the direction of how to
> set up a root filesystem as it is obviously not the hard part.

 that's a misunderstanding and is out-of-context, so allow me to
clarify: note the first part of what i said: I EXPECT THERE TO BE
SEVERAL PEOPLE INTERESTED IN CREATING THEIR OWN CARDS.

 that means that there will be a ton of people to ask "how do i create
my own Card image".

 there is even such documentation on the rhombus-tech wiki.  kernel
configs and links to kernel configs are included, as well as
instructions on how to compile them.

 it really isn't that hard.

> The hard parts are the mentioned mainline kernel bug somewhere after
> 4.7-rc1 and to get all or most of the hardware working with a mainline
> kernel or at least a custom kernel based on mainline and to make
> everything work smooth with vanilla Debian.

 true.  and is why i'm not going to get directly involved.

> Some minor issues can be the correct setup of U-boot, sd-card
> filesystems, kernel config, ... although we can probably copy from the
> Eoma68-A20-Sd-Card provided by Luke.

 exactly.  copy the first 128mb of any microsd card verbatim with dd
then sort out the rootfs partition after that.  i've done that at
least 10 times when creating the various different images.

 it's all been done, many many times.