[Arm-netbook] EOMA Specification / Documentation Issues

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Sep 26 15:20:25 BST 2016

---

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Vincent Legoll
<vincent.legoll at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> btw remember that mainline u-boot / kernel *does* actually work...
>> with the Revision 2.2 EOMA68-A20 Cards it just only works for about 90
>> to 300 seconds and i haven't been able to track down why.
>
> Care to elaborate a bit on that, is there more information somewhere,
> a bug report, anything ?

 *i* haven't... because the linux-sunxi community operate off of
non-free infrastructure.  if you'd like to report a bug using the
non-free resource known as github, or would like to join their mailing
list using the proprietary web interface, and are happy to have your
email address and your copyrighted words treated as "advertising
fodder" by google, please feel free to do so! :)

> I ask because the 300 seconds uptime rings
> a bell, maybe not relevant, but suspicious at least. The kernel was
> (maybe still is) initializing the timer (if I remember correctly) subsystem
> 5 minutes before wraparound, just so it is easier to catch bugs, by making
> those wraparound bugs easier triggerable...

 ok so it might be a simple matter of putting the right "thing" into
the dtb or something.  i was using the cubieboard2 dtb (which may not
actually be properly up-to-date).

>> there's clearly a bug somewhere around 4.0rc5 to 4.0rc6 which, if
>> found, fixed, and patched, would make mainline perfectly acceptable
>> for ongoing usage (with the EOMA68-A20).
>
> That should be easy enough to bissect, if you have a reproducer.

 i tried: it was an absolute bitch.  as in, i tried for THREE DAYS,
did approximately 100 kernel compiles, and still couldn't isolate it.
the problem stems from the way that "git bisect" works, compounded by
the fact that other kernel errors interfered with the assessment of
whether a given kernel was "good" or "bad".