[Arm-netbook] Code of conduct?

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Fri Sep 23 10:33:05 BST 2016

Hi,

If I may trespass on the discussion...

The first rule of engineering (alright, make that "one of the many first
rules of engineering") is "if it ain't broken, don't fix it".

Right now, IMO and AFAICT, there have been no incidents related to the
conduct of any participant in this project -- or if one prefers, no
incidents which any code or bill would have sorted out faster, let alone
prevented.

Therefore, I believe this project is not broken it a way that a code
or bill would (aim to) fix; hence, no such code or bill is needed, at
least ATM.

Actually, the most intensely disrupting event in this project (IMO, of
course) is... this discussion, which, while interesting indeed, diverts
part of our energy from the project itself and is beginning to span
quite a share of the current traffic.

Furthermore, it seems to me that at this point, this discussion could go
on indefinitely, because -- to my eyes -- it is now a confrontation of
opinions, which is fine, mind you :), but does not easily lead to
conclusions; as time progresses in such a situation, less and less new
arguments are offered, and more and more arguments already made are
repeated.

[ Besides, from a logician's standpoint, if this discussion was to
linger on much more, I would find it unsatisfactory that it might
become a /cause/ for putting a code or bill in place in order to
prevent any future discussion dragging from happening again. :) ]

Therefore, and based on my personal feeling regarding the state of this
discussion, I respectfully suggest that if this discussion must go on,
maybe it should go on in another forum, or in private exchanges if
participants so prefer.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.