[Arm-netbook] RAM

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Sep 13 14:52:20 BST 2016

---

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 9:31 AM, Vincent Legoll
<vincent.legoll at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> and apologies if this already has been talked about, I tried to find
> previous discussions on ML archives, elinux & rhombus sites.
>
> It looks like the DRAM will be standard DDR3, has low power DDR3
> been studied ?

 i'm not paying someone $10,000 to redo the RAM layout, or spending
6-15 weeks to do the work and have to do multiple revisions because i
get it wrong several times.  also i am not sure if the A20 can use
LPDDR3.  it can't use DDR3L, i know that.

> Too expensive ?
> No available init code ?

 nobody's using it.  800mhz DDR3 only uses 350mA so it's tolerable.

> I ask because some other ARM boards differentiate themselves
> from the other one by using LPDDR3 and that has much better
> power consumption characteristics, and so do not heat as much.
>
> The regular DDR3 ones (in certain cases have a heat problem and
> have to be down-clocked to operate properly whereas the LP ones
> don't...
>
> On the same subject of heat dissipation, some boards use a layer
> of the pcb just below the soc to act as a heat spreader by having
> a copper area that is not used for signals, and it looks like this is
> effective, because other boards that don't have it endure heat
> problems.

 yes.  that's in the power layer.  it also acts as a voltage reference
stabiliser.

> I had a look at EOMA PCB pictures,

 there's no such thing as an EOMA PCB.  EOMA is an umbrella (class) of
standards.  you may be referring to thr specific board which is
designated EOMA68-A20.  see standard's (newly-added) glossary on
elinux.org