[Arm-netbook] "zombie" campaign

chadvellacott at sasktel.net chadvellacott at sasktel.net
Tue Sep 13 00:21:16 BST 2016

On 16.9.12 14:15, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> ---
> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>

> On ~~, Sep 12, 2016 at 7:40 PM,  <chadvellacott at sasktel.net> wrote:
>>

>> On 16.9.12 0:25, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>>
>>> ---
>>> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>>
>> ~~~~~
>>>
>>> On ~, Sep 10, 2016 at 11:47 PM,  <chadvellacott at sasktel.net> wrote:
>>
>> ~~~~~

>> ~~~~~

>>>    we need to work out if it's cheaper to ship everything first to the
>>> US and then outwards from there (because there's no customs duty, just
>>> a one-off "fee" that pales into insignificance).  certainly, sea
>>> freight (which is by volume) would be a lot lower than air freight
>>> (which is by weight).
>>>
>>>    i've been trusting the amounts that both chris and joshua
>>> independently use: they're both experienced at this.  me, i'm just
>>> getting my head down into the PCBs etc. for now - logistics comes
>>> later.
>>>
>>> l.
>>>
>> ~~~~~~
>>     I have been aiming, to "pre-order" in the next few days.
>>     But, how likely, do you think, shall you be able to FILL "pre-orders"?
>>     If how you will respond to "pre-ordering" is "up in the air", then me
>> "pre-ordering" now, might result in hassle for both of us, rather than be of
>> benefit to both of us.
>
>    right.  this is an open project: it's not like a "profit maximising
> company" where they do their absolute best to hide absolutely
> everything except the "positive marketing messages" such as "we're now
> shipping!!!!  so you can trust us!!!! give us yer money!!!!"
>
>   ordinarily, if an "employee" said "i don't know" it wouldn't matter,
> would it?  you'd *never know* that he'd said "i don't know", or that
> the manager who had been asked to find out had to go back the boss and
> say "we don't know", would you?
>
>   here's the thing: *everybudy* doesn't really "know" until it actually
> happens.  you "don't know" if there's going to be an earthquake in
> Taiwan which destroys the foundries (this happened a few years ago),
> or some floods or a fire will destroy the DDR RAM factories (which
> also happened a few years ago), or the factory where things are being
> manufactured might have a fire (as happened with the NexDock - it
> started in the factory next door and spread, destroying 50% of the
> stock).
>
>   to make judgements based on these kinds of things, where you *don't
> know* if they're going to happen or not - is part and parcel of
> life... *not* just this campaign.
>
>   bottom line, it's up to you to decide.  just be aware that you're
> getting an honest glimpse into a world you've never seen before, in
> just the same way that the openpandora and openmoko operated a decade
> ago.
>
> l.

    I did not really mean to ask you to predict the likelihood of an earth-quake or flood or fire, or
things which are generally relevant to life rather than specifically relevant to this campaign.
    I was not trying to get you to promise something which you cannot thoughtfully promise.  I
understand being sensitive to not over-promising, in the position which you are in.  I myself try to
avoid over-promising.  And I aim to give others reasonable and compassionate latitude in regard to
anything which they word as a promise to me.

    The context for my question, was the discussion between thee and Sam Kuper, as to "Crowd
Supply's" terms for pledges and for pre-orders.  Thou ended up seeming to admit to having
mis-understood regarding pre-orders, and to be having some kind of "second thoughts" regarding
pre-orders, as shown in the top quotes of this "email" and my previous "email".  I deliberately
included those quotes now and previously.  Because they were relevant "background" to my question.

    I only meant to ask a question as to your plans, and as to whether you were re-considering some
one or more plans.  I guess that I should have asked, "how likely will" instead of "shall".

    (a) Are you considering suspending pre-orders?
    If so, then perhaps I might as well wait, until that decision is made in one direction or another.

    (b) "Would" it help you at all, in your decision-making (such as whether to get the factory to
make 200 more cards), if I pre-"order" (it'd be at least 1 computer-card and at least 1 "PFY"
lap-top-kit) as soon as I am ready?

    Eagerly,
    Chad.  (:^)