[Arm-netbook] Housing idea: screenless laptop

Matt Campbell mattcampbell at pobox.com
Sun Sep 11 21:31:15 BST 2016

Hi,

It occurred to me that for blind people, who use a screen reader such as
Speakup or Orca, a laptop housing without the screen or the touchpad
would be quite convenient. And if this housing used the same battery as
the regular laptop housing, it would last longer because there's no screen.

To the engineers on the list, how difficult would it be to modify the
current laptop housing to remove the screen and touchpad? I suppose
there are two ways to go about removing the touchpad: either it could
just be replaced with empty space, or the keyboard could be moved to the
front. In the latter case, how much smaller could the housing be made
without removing anything inside (battery, space for a USB dongle, etc.)?

Matt